We really love the taste of fresh, Summer vegetables and this recipe captures it nicely. We found the recipe on My Recipes. Enjoyable and easy to make!
Baked pasta with summer veggies: approx. $1.25 per serving
- 4 ounces uncooked ziti (or penne, any pasta really)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow squash
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (we used dried herbs and halved the amount)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano (we used dried and halved the amount)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper (omitted for our version)
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) ricotta cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan. Add squash, zucchini, and onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add tomato and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in pasta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- Combine ricotta, remaining salt, and egg. Stir into pasta mixture. Spoon into an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until bubbly and browned.
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray